New to chickens, old to animals

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ladyanne57, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Ladyanne57

Ladyanne57 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Hi - just saw this thread and thought I would go ahead and post. I am a small animal veterinarian in southwest Ohio who swore (after one really bad poultry lab in vet school) that I would never have anything to do with chickens! However as my life goes on and I visit friends who have small flocks I decided - once again - that I should never say never. Six chicks are coming to join our small farm at the beginning of next month, and this site has already been so much help! We are scrambling to get their accommodations built and the weather is hindering us but I feel sure we will be up and running by the time the chicks are ready to be moved outside. Thanks for a great website and Facebook presence.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chicken folk could always use another small animal vet that would tend to chickens/ducks/ etc. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

What breeds of chicks are you planning on getting?[​IMG]

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community!

Good luck with your future chicks!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop built, and in getting your chickens.

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you have joined us.

Although you have visited other's flocks, you are in for a lot of fun having your own. The biggest surprise is that they have individual personalities, so much like cats IMO.

Good luck with your own adventure. Feel free to ask questions. Hope you enjoy the forums.

9. Ladyanne57

Ladyanne57 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Our neighbors/advisors have mostly Black Lace Wyandottes and wanted to get some more so we are going to split an order of a dozen. I think they are so beautiful and all their hens seem tame. I'm sure the group will grow from there (I always said 2 horses were plenty. But we managed to squeeze in a rescued pony and 2 rescued minis![​IMG]) So we are planning to build with room to grow. Also I have been in touch with the OSU extension vet who has informed me the extension group has been planning to reach out to backyard flock owners with some seminars etc. and he inquired if I'd be a contact/liason etc. I think the expert flock owners will be MY liason! But I'm excited to be a link in that chain for better food production and more humane stock management. FWIW - I'm not raising them for meat - these chickens are for the eggs, compost, insect control (the final selling point was when I read that they eat stink bugs like candy. That did it! We are overrun with those things...). I would also like to let them pick over the garden soil once we've harvested in the fall. ETC ETC. You all know that good stuff. Anyway thanks for the nice welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by