New to Chickens-one hen is a bully

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gibsterl, Sep 20, 2012.

1. gibsterl

gibsterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Hi-
    I am new to chickens-I have 4 chickens that are ~14 mos old, 2 barred rocks and 2 NH reds, additionally 2 15 week old barreds. All are hens.They were all introduced together in the coop the same day. All came from a place with alot of chickens including roosters. The first day there was some aggression towards the little girls but everyone was able to eat and drink-there was just some chasing and pecking but none of it serious. Now after 5 days the little girls refuse to come out of the coop at all. I placed feed and a waterer outside and inside so all would be comfortable but today they had a hard time getting to the feeder inside too. At night once all are tucked in to their roost they are ok. One of the older Barreds is the most aggressive....so can I expect this to continue or might it improve as the little girls get bigger-what advise can anyone give- Lynn

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It will get better, but it'll take time...that's a big age difference. As long as feathers aren't being yanked out or combs aren't being bloodied, I would just chalk it up to pecking order for now. If it's still this rough a month from now, then I might try another tactic. Youngsters will be chased away from food/treats...that's pretty typical. If they chase a few steps and let it go, then that's normal. Now if they corner someone and keep pecking/attacking, that's NOT normal.

So lots of barriers in the run is good. Add stumps, or large branches, old step ladders, wooden crates or boxes, anything that gives the youngsters places to get to to avoid the bigger birds if needed. You already took care of the multiple feeder/waterer issue - do make sure they're spaced well apart so they can't all be "guarded" at once. If you ever freerange, let the bigger birds out and keep the youngsters in for some "let their guard down" time...

1 person likes this.
  3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    :goodpost: Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. I would also keep some Blue Kote on hand if any blood does get drawn. It helps hide the red. Good luck. :thumbsup

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Great advice given. Good luck :thumbsup

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Lynn, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Best of luck integrating your flocks!

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG]

7. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    i agree with teach1rusi's advice. good luck.

8. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Hi and [​IMG] So glad you joined us!!![​IMG]

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] You got some good advice here. Good luck!

10. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello, best of luck to you with your new flock. Don't worry it will all get better.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by