1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to Chickens Orpington being picked on

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by janes Chickens, Oct 26, 2014.

1. janes Chickens

janes Chickens New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    Hi Everyone, we are first time chicken owners, have just brought the following chickens yesterday
    2 x Aracana females - 12mth
    1 x Black Orpington - 12mths
    2 x Light Sussex Corination - 12mths
    1 x gold laced Wyandotte

they are in a decent sized coop with laying boxes and scratching ground, one by one they are all picking on the orpington pecking and lifting they legs. after a couple of hours yesterday she had blood on her beck so I put her in a cage inside the cage so that they could see her but not hurt her. this morning her beck looks fine no sign of any blood, so I let her out again under supervision. slowly they all have had a peck at her, and now she is on top of a laying box to get away from them. She is the sweetest thing, should I just keep checking her for any blood/distress... as I can see them from the house and will go out every hours, or should I just let them sort it out? I obviously wouldn't leave her to suffer. I really don't want to have to get rid of her as she is the best with the kids!

Help!

2. Chickie my my

Chickie my my Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    It sounds like they are setting their pecking order; but I would still keep a eye on her for a few days. I had a younger hen get into the territory of the older chickens and they peck her to death before I knew there was a problem. now they all blend together .The Orpingtons has a sweet nature anyway ,maybe keep her separate sometime to give her a rest from bulling.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I agree, this is a pecking order thing, however I would not let them pick on her in my coop. Usually there is one bird that starts it and then the others follow along. Figure out who starts this pecking and separate them out. See if that helps the Orp to fit in. If this is the case, keep this meanie in the cage for a month. This should help with the pecking order. If there are two of them picking on her, cage them both. You may need to cage them out of site of the coop completely. You can let them sleep on the roost bar at night, but back in the cage they go during the day.

If all else fails, I use pinless peepers on the meanies.
    [​IMG]
    These will stop all aggression. A bit extreme, but I don't tolerate aggression, fighting or blood in my coop. With pinless peepers, they can see up, down and to the sides, but not directly in front of them to fire off their beaks in aggressive ways.

Good luck and never let birds be bullied. Cage the bullies and let the lower ranking birds stay in the flock.

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

You've received some good advice already. Good luck with your flock!

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Agree, you have been given good advice. If you do see any blood, spray with blue note, consider isolating the Buff intermittently until they can learn to get along.

good luck with your new flock integration.

6. CarnyCat

CarnyCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    In the woods of Ga
    Hello and welcome,give them a little time, you are all getting to know each other.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

X2 on Two Crow's advice.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You have been given excellent advice, so I will just say [​IMG]