New to Chickens! Picture of our two baby chicks, gender and breed? Thanks!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ealevkowitz, Jan 17, 2013.

1. ealevkowitz

ealevkowitz New Egg

Jan 17, 2013
    Hi I'm new to having chickens. My daughter was given 2 baby chicks for her 2nd birthday by a friend... we've been talking about getting them for a while but never did it, until now. We live in Arizona so I'm concerned about the summer heat, coyotes and our two dogs!

I've attached a picture of the two chicks, have no idea what breed or gender they are, if they're roosters we'll have to give them back and get some ladies. Our neighbors won't be happy with crowing roosters!

Excited to learn about these cute little birds. :)

Thanks! Heres a picture of our chicks, any idea what breed and gender?[​IMG]

2. lucyharper123

lucyharper123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    barred rocks :) i got it from https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/405638/how-to-tell-black-chicks-apart hope it helps :) they look so cute :)

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I'm not convinced they are barred rocks. The one in back looks more gray than black. I believe the one in front may have had a barred parent. When you can, post pictures of the birds individually to include the legs and faces. Does the second one have a beard and/or feathered legs? It's a bit early for gender guessing, but the first one seems to have a bit of comb already.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Best of luck!!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Post pictures in 2 or 3 months and we'll tell you about breed and gender. Right now, it's pretty much conjecture.

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

8. VentuckyChick

VentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    So Cal
    Welcome from Southern California! I'd say Barred Rock, too, since I adopted some for a broody hen last June and they looked exactly like that. For heat stress, it's good to have a poultry electrolyte mixture on hand. I buy it at my local feed store for just a few dollars for a good size pouch. You will be able to find other suggestions on this site. Have fun!

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

10. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by