New to chickens, please help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by StaceySwinkels, Mar 16, 2013.

1. StaceySwinkels

StaceySwinkels In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Hi,

So I'm still fairly new to chickens, my husband and I got our first laying hens back in November, and we recently purchased some from Triple J Farms, I believe we had 1 ameraucana, and 3 Olive Eggers hatch, they are just over 3 weeks old now, and I was wondering if any of you could help me sex them. We will be keeping them all, I fell in love with them from day 1, but I'm curious to find out what we have :)

The top picture is of the one believed to be an ameraucana, I've read that you can tell by their combs, I know it's not a great photo, but it's worth a shot anyway

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some other pictures of them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Songster

Apr 22, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    My Coop
    Right now the second one looks like a cockerel to me, the others could be pullets but give them a few weeks to develop.

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Crowing

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Aw they are cute. It is tough to tell at 3 weeks. To complicate things, different breeds can develop at different rates. In a few weeks you may get some clues if some of them develop redde rand bigger combs than the others of the same breed.

4. StaceySwinkels

StaceySwinkels In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2013
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    Yeah, I wasn't sure how long it took before you could tell. I tried looking it up online, but it seems to be different for every breed. Thanks so much! I'll post more pictures in a few weeks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by