New to chickens plz help.

Samilasam

Hatching
Feb 27, 2015
Mount Pleasant, IA
I got my first little chicks today. At Farm King they all looked happy and healthy. I got the brooder set up and now 1 of them looks like it won't make it. Any ideas what could be going in?

Could be shipping stress. Do you have electrolytes in the water? If not, you might add some. They sell it in packets at the feed store, or you can do a thread search for home made electrolyte solution. One thing I always keep on hand for brooding chicks is Poultry Nutri-drench. It's a wonderful product, you can give it full strength by the drop to a chick who's not doing so well. Call Farm King, and ask what their replacement policy is.

Some chicks well just die in the first few days
Does it have bloody poop or not drinking eating, sneezing ,breathing heavy or not making normal chick noises or just not moving for a long time even if touched and one more question are any others doing it because chicks when sleeping most of the time look like there going to die

i did put some probiotics and electrolytes in their water. The other 3 are doing good eating drinking and chirping away. But the yellow one (California White) just fell asleep and has not drank water any water or anything it just laid down and fell asleep. It gets pecked by the others and wakes up and moves away but i am still worried.

First time Chicken Mom i guess i am going to freak out over everything.

keep doing what u r doing .mine did the same and perked back up...maybe u could separate the little one being picked on..i gave probiotics as soon as I got mine. good luck to you ,some just aren't as strong during shipment and pass on..

I have been watching closly and after it accidently dropped her face in the water and woke herself back up, she realized there was water and drank a lot. We scooted her to the feeder and she started eating right away, she is alert now and is actually pecking the others too! LOL Crazy chicks i swear! They all seem to have eaten their fill and are starting to pass out.

Some chicks are just more tired after shipment. Good thing its doing better now

Some chicks are just more tired after shipment. Good thing its doing better now
X2
Welcome to BYC!
You can also put vinegar in their water as they love it and it's also a natural antibiotic.
Feel free to ask TONS of questions and make sure you check out the "learning center" where you can find lots of good information.

Back
Top Bottom