New to chickens - rooster shopping

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Newtoochicks, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Newtoochicks

Newtoochicks New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    I live in NJ (Brick) we have ordinance on noise so I am looking for a friendly, cold hearty rooster that can be well with kids. Only want one will be strictly for fertilizing eggs to produce more chickens for meat.

Any suggestions on a roo that isnt gonna crank up my neighbors (we already have a dog that likes to bark at his shadow and the wind; if you catch my drift)

thanks in advance!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

If you have a noise ordinance you shouldn't get a rooster unless it's a tiny Serama with a pipsqueak crow. Anything big enough to produce offspring decent for meat use is going to have a big crow. Standard Cornish or Naked Necks are best for backyard meat production, but both have ugly loud crows.

1 person likes this.
  3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Good luck with that lol. We had a little bantam rooster and he got the neighbours complaining to council and we had to get rid of him. They all make noise that will annoy neighbours and will crow day and night (once stayed at a bed and breakfast and their dam rooster was crowing at 2am)

You have a couple of options. A no crow collar. It gets mixed feedback. Some love it, some say it doesn't work. My parents neighbours use one and my parents didn't even know they had a rooster till recently so it worked for them. Do your research though as put on wrong it can be harmful to the rooster or not work. Sometimes despite constant adjusting they still don't work.

Your second option is only if the ordinance is only about night noise, it won't help during the day. Some people lock their roosters up in a soundproof cage or box in their garage at night. You need to make sure they won't overheat in summer in there and it has adequate ventilation too. By putting them away at night they muffle any noise they may make and reduce it to a degree as they don't seem to crow quite as much in the box. Guy we bought some of our chickens from had his right in the middle of the city with homes all around him but he was able to reduce the noise enough at night that nobody complained.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Newtoochicks

Newtoochicks New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    Thank you.

Noise ordinance is only at night (11pm-5am), I was not aware other places had day time ones or I would have certainly specified that. Hardly anyone complains in my neighborhood as we all have dogs and once one gets going they all start going.

I was considering an indoor coop for night time for a rooster if he was a bit rambunctious at night, I will look in to the noise proof box and a collar. Not sure if go that collar root tho but it's good info to have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by