New to chickens, Silkie chicks panting occasionally?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KitaNori, Mar 12, 2012.

1. KitaNori

KitaNori Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    Hi my name is Kayla! I just got into raising chickens and I have 3 Silkie Bantam chicks, 4,6, and 10 weeks old. They occasionally will pant, my white oldest one just now while relaxing on my lap, she did feel hot though so could she just be hot? Yesterday she was also stretching her neck out and opening her mouth wide. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Sounds like they might just be too hot. Do you have a heat lamp on them? Can they get far away from the heat if they want? What are you keeping the temp at??

3. KitaNori

KitaNori Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    The room they are in is probably around 70 F, Kita my 10 week old was on my lap in the livingroom that is around 67 F, on a towel (so she didn't poop on me) and felt pretty warm when she was panting, but wasn't panting the WHOLE time, only off and on. I don't know if she was stressed or what. They don't have a heat lamp because my room is very warm and they are older chicks. She sneezed a couple times yesterday, but that was it, acting normal otherwise. I just got them 2 days ago.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by