New to Chickens - Some Qs about my Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by willow13, May 8, 2009.

1. willow13

willow13 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Hi, I'm new to chickens, although I helped hatch and raise some when I was younger. I just got 6 Rhode Island Reds, all are are a couple days old now. They all seem healthy - as far as I can tell - and very active. I bought them at a local farm supply store. The guy was really nice and knowledgeable.
    I have them all in a big carboard box that is 2 ft high with a lamp that hangs down. Food and waterers are in opposit corners, and they are on paper towels.
    I have noticed that they are pooping a lot of green and white. I assume that this is because they are stressed from not only being shipped to the store, but also moving to my house, a new location. Is this the case, or should it be something more to be concerned about?
    They are on the Blue Seal starter medicated food, but eventually I want to switch them over to an organic food when they're older.
    Is there anything else I should be doing/giving them?

Thanks.

2. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    Normal poop varies from green/white to brown.

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Theyre normal. Green poops are normal. Theyre still developing the proper gut flora that will give them a more normal color as time and feces passes.

Sounds good to me!

4. willow13

willow13 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    okay, thanks.. good to know. lol

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Yep - normal. You will find they have all kinds of differing poops. One minute it's chocolate brown, then yellowish, greenish, solid, runny, etc.

This morning, I noticed the droppings of my 11 wk olds under the roost. It was a little dry probably because they sat there all night and didn't drink any water.

Show us some pics of your new babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by