New to chickens - want to know what we have!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Stinnikaper, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Stinnikaper

Stinnikaper Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2014
    We have 5 "heritage" chickens and 2 "commercial" not sure what the difference is though?

I will post some pics and would love to know what we have! Only two out of the seven aren't laying yet, and we get brown, white, beige and a blue egg.

Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG][/IMG]m/content/type/61/id/6640393/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

2. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 on try posting pictures of your birds in the What Breed/Gender forum. Commercial usually means a breed or cross that was bred to lay a lot of eggs.. from that picture it looks like you have a Red Sex Link of some sort (the hen in the far background) and a Brown Leghorn (bird in the middle looking left) the RSL are definitely commercial, really productive layers of brown eggs. Leghorns are also very good, usually the commercial ones are white in color, but the browns are also very good layers of white eggs.
    Heritage birds are more old breeds that don't produce like the commercial ones but are usually longer lived and are good choices for the backyard flock. The black/white spotted bird looks like an Ancona, the black bird in the middle could be a Black Andalusian or Minorca both good layers of white eggs.
    With the green/blue eggs looks like you also have one or two Easter Eggers (the brown hen whose head you can't see is a typical color) and the darker brown hen in the back middle possibly), EEs usually lay green/blue eggs but can lay any color and a good number of them do lay brown/pink... they are popular mixes bred for the fun egg color.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined the flock

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I agree with Kelsie2290. I can't see the one in the front well enough for a positive ID, but the others are from front to back a Black Andalusian (or Minorca), Brown Leghorn, Ancona, unsure on the next to the last one (a little too far away to ID with certainty), and a Red Sex Link hen (the color pattern is obvious in that one) in the far rear. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Kelsie has given you great advice.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Wow, you have some gorgeous birds! Definitely post in our What Breed and Gender section with individual pics of each bird.

Good luck and enjoy your beautiful flock!

10. Stinnikaper

Stinnikaper Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2014
    Thank you everyone. I will post some pics in "what breed". They are all just starting to lay, we got them when they were about 12 weeks, my have they changed! They just keep getting prettier!

I'm on maternity leave and I think I spend more time watching them then my baby:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by