New to chickens! *WARNING LOTS OF PICS*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormhorse23, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I am so excited. I have two chicks! Sebright mixes. The biggest one is a girl (for sure) and she was born June 16. Her name is Seastar. The little one is obviously very young and I named it Dustin. I don't know the gender. They are full siblings (different clutches). Seastar sits on her bro and keeps him warm at night. She also makes sure he is with her 24/7. I think she will be a very broody hen when she gets older! I am in the process of making a Henhouse for them. I have the pen done. It is chicken wire (I know, terrible) but it was cheap and I couldn't afford the fancy stuff. The house is almost done and it's huge for two bantams. It has three big nest areas. It will be outside the pen with the door attached and a little ladder thing leading up to the entrance. I will put a door on it and some windows with wire over them for ventilation. Any ideas on how old Dustin is? The little box in there pen currently is just for them to get used to the idea. The pen is 6' by 4' 9". Im guessing about 3 bantams comfortably. I like the sebrights, but really would like the roos to have roo feathers. How about Old English???? What are they like? Anybody have pics of their Old English Bantams? Sorry about all the words....I'm just so excited!!!!!! I don't know if the pics will work. Here goes....
    [​IMG]
    Seastar. Yeah, she was soooo hot. poor girl
    [​IMG]
    Its so cool that she trusts me this much. I can put her on her back and tell her to stay. Shell jump up when I say "Get Up"
    [​IMG]
    Dustin's white belly
    [​IMG]
    He's gettin some feathers!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The pen
    [​IMG]
    The coop
    Well...Wat do u think????!!!!

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Looks like you are working hard to give them a good home!

3. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Yeah, I'm hooked. Neighbors want eggs.....They think my little chickens are pointless so just for them, I ordered 5 brahmas and 5 Barred Plymouth rocks. Don't worry they won't live with my little bantams. They stay down by the barn. Probably free ranging when they get older. I'll probably only keep 2 brahmas and 2 plymouth rocks. All hens.Then im done...promise:ya

4. Katelyn

Katelyn Cooped Up

Jun 2, 2007
    Quote:Famous last words, cant tell you how many times I told my parents that. And with the help of all the "wonderfull" people here that will tell you no (yea right) you shouldnt have much more, only 25, lol.

They are so cute. And that looks like a VERY secure (as far as chicken wire goes) pen and coop. You did a great job.

5. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Cute couple you got there! And bielieve me you will be keeping more than just 4 once that box of chirping chicks arrives. And remember you might want to keep more. Like you said your neighbors like eggs and with just 4 hens you will probably only get 2-3 eggs a day. And if you free-range you might lose some hens to predators so having extras is always nice and a roo if you can. Also are you keeping those two chicks outside all the time? Because the little one especially still needs to be kept under a heat light. For another 1-2 weeks.
    Good Luck with your chicks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    We are a bunch of enablers so if you are looking to us to tell you to stop....well you're sadly mistaken. [​IMG] It's great to see new people here on the forum. Your chicks look great and you did a nice job on their home. AND NEVER SAY NEVER OR I PROMISE HERE.....you can never have too many chickens! [​IMG]

7. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Yeah. I got the new babies today. They are so cute. Oh, and SamG347, that baby was free ranging where I got him and can't stand being in a box or whatever. I had him under a heat lamp for a while, he hated it. Hez loving being outside! Oh, and it's almost one hundred degrees here. I don't think he's in any danger of freezing![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  8. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Since I am an idiot and cannot figure out how to post pictures here is a link to my Old English Rooster Frank and one of my seabright girls. The seabrights are my favorite, so loving to each other, I want more!!!!
    http://www.pbase.com/uwharrie/down_on_amys_farm

9. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Oh my gosh! He's georgous! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by