New to chickens.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by josiahj1313, Sep 25, 2015.

1. josiahj1313

josiahj1313 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2015
    Eastern Colorado
    My dad and I are getting our first ever chickens! Any advice would be helpful, I've done lots of reading, but know I still have much to learn. We're leaning towards five chickens, and are hoping for Rhode island reds and barred rocks. I ordered the ranch from chicken saloon (fingers crossed after reading some memebers reviews of them today) and think five chickens is enough for that coop. Any advice is welcome!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Hello there!

Barred Rocks are great birds, but I would avoid getting any more than one Rhode Island Red. They're very picky in mixed flocks and while some are perfectly nice birds, others can be real jerks. I would suggest New Hampshires or Red Sex Links instead. They lay just as well if not better than RIRs and have much better personalities.

I don't know that I would endorse the coop's statement of 10-15 birds. I would say 10 max, unless you purchase any bantams.

I highly recommend the books "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" and "Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds." They're excellent guides and I suggest them to all beginners.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Please do visit the Learning Center at top of page. It will answer many questions your have, as well as some you haven't thought of yet.
    It's good to join your state thread so folks can advise you on what type of coop, run, etc. you'll need for climate extremes. It's also good to check out the predator section, so you're birds will be as safe as possible from attacks.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on our Learning Center. There is loads of useful information there. I also agree with QueenMisha about getting sex links instead of RIRs. They are generally better tempered that the RIRs and will outlay them (consistantly churning out more than 300 large, brown eggs per hen per year). I personally prefer the Black Sex Links to the Red Sex Links as my Blacks have been friendlier than my Reds and have actually laid slightly better in really cold winter weather, however you can't go wrong with either sex link variety. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Cheers.

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flocK! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by