1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by homestead 101, Jan 31, 2016.

1. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    I just bought 4 chickens home, but hey have not layer yet. What should I do?

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    When did you bring them home

3. homestead 101

Jan 31, 2016
    I just brought them home two days ago

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  4. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Well you just brought them home two days ago they are getting used to there new home so o would say you should get eggs within the next week or two if not longer

5. homestead 101

Jan 31, 2016
    I was also wondering, I have nest boxes about 10" of the floor and the roost are lower than the boxes. So they are roosting and pooping in the nest box. What can I do to stop this.

6. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    You are to have the nesting boxes lower than the roost so you can build them a higher roost or set the nesting boxes loser to the ground

7. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - i hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us here.

I'd suggest checking out the learning centre, your state thread and searching forums as you will find lots to help you there.

Roada Red has been very helpful already - thats just one example of how friendly and supportive our community is!!

All the best
    CT

8. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    How much the lay and when will also depend on their age. Do you know how old they are? Many older birds will take a break from laying over the winter months. Some younger pullets may not lay until February or March if they went mature enough in the fall.Chickens can stop laying if they are stressed out and it may take a few weeks for them to get back into the swing of things.

They also may have found a dark hidden spot where they feel safe to lay. If they are laying elsewhere Sometimes putting golf balls or fake eggs in a nest box will encourage them to lay where you want them to. Or you can lock them in the coop for a few days so they become familiar where home is.

As for the nest boxes I agree they need to be lower than the roosts. You can always block off the nest boxes before they go into the coop at night. Or once it is dark you can move them onto the roosts, and they should learn where they are to sleep within a week.

1 person likes this.
  9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    welcome to Backyard chickens. Pagan Rose gave you good advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by