New To Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Allkindsofkinds, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Allkindsofkinds

Allkindsofkinds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Apache Junction, AZ
    Hello all! I just joined last night, and I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple questions for me. I just got a small flock of chicks, and the coop is almost done. The chicks are one Easter egger, one Golden Campine, one Salmon Faverolle, one Red Sex Link, one Black Sex Link, one Barred Rock, and a Silver Laced Wayandotte. The first three are three weeks old today, the sex linked ones are two and a half weeks, and the last two are about five days old. I believe they should start laying around late July to early September, and I was wondering how many eggs I could expect per week from them next year after their first molt when they hit their first real laying season. I was also wondering how the eggs will compare size-wize to store bought eggs(pictures would be great). Thank you!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! What a lovely mix of breeds you have there :D As for how many eggs you get and what size will really depend on your hens. Your sex links should be the most prolific layers as that's what they are bred for. Please do check out the breed section as I'm sure members will have written about egg laying from those breeds. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chicks and enjoy BYC :frow

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice from YCoop so I'll just say a big hello [​IMG]

All the best
    CT

4. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by