1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to chickens!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mskellylynn, May 24, 2016.

1. mskellylynn

mskellylynn New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Hi all,

I am new at this! This is my first set of chicks ever! Excited to have them, but didn't order them special or anything. A friend recommended someone near my house that had chicks...I was looking for Silkies, but wanted a few other breeds too. Ended up with 5, 2 white silkies, and 3 that I'm not too sure of the breeds...99% certain that the silkies are pullets, and that my Lacey, (sorry I don't have a picture at the moment) is also a pullet...one I am 99.99% sure is a cockerel, and the other, well, I'm very confused! They are young, only about 9-10 weeks so there are no eggs to speak of yet, and there hasn't been any crowing...maybe you all can help me out!

[​IMG] This is Luna...or, well, perhaps I need to rename her if she is a he...Her/his comb looks very very red in these pictures, but it is not that red...also, does anyone know the breed? I've been researching but can only guess and would like a more definitive answer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] As I said, these pix make her comb look super red...it's not that red...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] And this is my Louie...he was a Lilly, but then his comb and wattles appeared...I took him because of his leg...he was born this way (after x-ray confirmation) and his leg is wrapped because his hock was all cut up. I've only had them about 4-5 weeks now, and his leg is healing nicely! I keep him cushioned and change his bandage once a day. He is such a loving roo...small though...very small actually in comparison to my others...only one that seems to be his size is Lacey who is definitely a pullet. Any idea on the breed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Cutie man...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Here is a shot of his feathers on his back...

Thanks for all your help!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I believe they are both mixes. The first one sure is standing like a rooster.

3. mskellylynn

mskellylynn New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    That's the same thought I had!

4. mskellylynn

mskellylynn New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Any idea on what they may be mixes of?

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Just guesses, the first reminds me of a Wyandotte mixed with something more scrawny, the second a Brahma, but without the feathered legs.

6. mskellylynn

mskellylynn New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by