New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jengui, May 31, 2016.

1. jengui

jengui New Egg

May 31, 2016
    Hi I'm fairly new to having chickens. I have 3 8 week Olds ( had 4) but my dog got one. I also gave 2 that are almost 3 weeks old. Anyway, the dog killed one last Thursday and that same day later on I noticed one limping pretty badly. She had two very small cuts on her toe I cleaned them and but antibiotic on it. She's eating and drinking well but shows no improvement on walking. The cuts have healed well but on the underside of the toe there is a bruise kind of. I've asked where I bought them and they think it's not an infection. I don't feel any broken bones. I'm trying to make sure it is not bumble foot.help please

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm so ver sorry about your losses to the dog. This thread is great for tips on dog intros ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ckens-tips-for-a-harmonious-introduction/0_30

It does sound rather like bumble foot you are describing. Would you be able to get a pic and post to in this section ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
    I'm sure members there will be able to advise you on what the problem could be.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already from Y/Coop, so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

4. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Hi, and :welcome

X2 on Yorkshire Coop's advice. Good luck! :)

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Dogs and chickens should never meet. The chickens end up dead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by