New to chickens

bantamchics

Hatching
Jun 5, 2016
Hello everyone, please do not judge as I am quite new to chickens. My one bantam hen has in the last few days been staying in her nest in almost a trance it seems. When she's sitting she doesn't mind if I touch her but in the few times she comes out to eat she makes strange noises that she hasn't made before and puffs her feathers when I come near. Should I be worried?
Thanks

It doesn't sound like she is sick. And as to whether it's bad or not that depends...do you want more chicks? If so do you have a rooster or access to fertilized eggs to give her? If so then watch her for a few days to see if she actually stays in one spot and continues to act like this and give her some eggs she can actually hatch. If you don't want more chicks then try to break her of this because it's not healthy for her to be broody for no reason. I have a banty hen that goes broody and all I have to do is lift her out a few times and give her treats to get her mind off of it. Others need to take more extreme measures. Search broody buster pen at top of page to read up on it. Just keep an eye on her for a few days to make sure she is eating/drinking/pooping ok but from the description you gave I'm pretty positive she is fine and just wanting motherhood.

Back
Top Bottom