New to chickens

jellystone

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 17, 2016
This year I jumped in with both feet and 46 chicks. 10 weeks later and down to 45 chickens, I finally have questions and frustrations. I'm hoping to learn a lot from your experience. Thanks in advance.

The Dominiques are terrified of the other chickens and have been since I introduced them at 3 weeks. They had been in separate brooders. Except for free ranging together, I still isolate them at night. Should I have brooded them in mixed groups? The New Hampshires and Rocks were so much healthier and active from the day I got them in the mail.

I have 3 groups of chicks and chickens that I raised seperatley. And they all stay in their own groups or chicken cliques. So it is normal for the younger ones to be scared the older more dominant chickens. It's pretty normal for chickens to be that way. I would only be worried if they became aggressive towards the smaller ones. They might seem scared but their probably just trying to keep their distance and give the big ones some space.

This year I jumped in with both feet and 46 chicks. 10 weeks later and down to 45 chickens, I finally have questions and frustrations. I'm hoping to learn a lot from your experience. Thanks in advance.

welcome to BYC :) What kind of questions do you have?

Thank you. New Hampshire Red (26 cockerels), Buff Rocks (3 male, 2 female), and Dominiques (14 straight run). I also have 2 Silver Appleyards and 4 Welsh Harlequins. They free range inside electronets. At night I have to isolate three buffs, all the dominiques, and separate the ducks. It has become a housing nightmare.

welcome to BYC :) What kind of questions do you have?

The Dominiques are terrified of the other chickens and have been since I introduced them at 3 weeks. They had been in separate brooders. Except for free ranging together, I still isolate them at night. Should I have brooded them in mixed groups? The New Hampshires and Rocks were so much healthier and active from the day I got them in the mail.

Back
Top Bottom