New to Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FleetwoodMck, Dec 29, 2016.

1. FleetwoodMck

FleetwoodMck Just Hatched

Dec 29, 2016
    Hi Everyone- I've been stalking this site for a while and finally joined- My Family and I are moving to a small "homestead" Next month in Plant City Florida- we have a run in shed in one of the pastures near the house that I am planning on turning half of it into a coop. so it will end up being around 14x6ft- I am reading up as much as possible about chickens because this will be my very first experience with them. I hope my kids will want to do 4H with them as well.

I am hoping to get friendly breeds that are good layers-
    orpingtons have been recommended- any other breed suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Any common rookie mistakes to look out for as well- I'm sure once we start building the coop and getting the chickens I will be on here much more often!

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Hi welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Some things you should put in your coops hike you're bundling it is ventilation.

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under FleetwoodMck [​IMG] Welcome!

I recommend a visit to the Learning Centre; lots of good tips there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

and some great coop ideas here if you do not already have any: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Finally, you might want to say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

Best wishes on the move and with your chickens!

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

As a former Floridian, I can vouch for the many members you'll find on the FL state thread...you'll get lots of help there.

Good luck with all your plans!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Fleetwood, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community!

7. FleetwoodMck

FleetwoodMck Just Hatched

Dec 29, 2016
    Thanks I will be sure to check out those links and get with the Florida thread!

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

9. nmflygirl

nmflygirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2016
    Just this side of crazy
    Welcome to the site. I'm new here too and the people and knowledge are truly amazing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by