1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kkovacic, Jan 17, 2017.

1. kkovacic

kkovacic New Egg

Jan 17, 2017
    HI! My family has decided to take the plunge and get some chickens. We got our coop and are so excited but now it's time to get the chickens. We've done a lot of reading but no one has given any good websites on where to buy our chickens. We went to our local stores and none of the chickens they get are sexed. Can anyone give us some insight on where to go? We are from Pennsylvania! TIA :)

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, kkovacic, and [​IMG]! Pleased you decided to take the plunge and get chickens and also glad you stopped at BYC! This is an awesome community that can help you every step of the way! First off - where to get chickens. In my neck of the woods, starting about February, local farm and ranch stores sell sexed and unsexed chicks. If those aren't available in your area, mail order is a great option. Chicks are amazingly resilient through the mail and the bigger outfits are very reputable. I will give you the names of large hatcheries I have ordered from in the past. These have done well by me and offer a great variety of birds from which to use. Murray McMurray....Meyer Hatchery....Cackle Hatchery....Stromberg's....Ideal Poultry. There are others but these are ones I can personally vouch for. If it was me, I'd pick the one nearest to PA. Anything that might cut a day off of shipping is a plus. I can almost assure the chicks will arrive in great shape. You can research/ask other hatchery opinions in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16/chicken-breeders-hatcheries

Then when you get them it's just a matter of dunking their beaks so they figure out where the water is and show them their chick starter food as they go to town in their brooder. Some folks put electrolytes (available from wherever you order) in the water to give them a boost. But once have the chicks...actually before...check out the Learning Center here: it is a treasure trove of useful poultry information. Obviously, you will want to pay most attention to the raising baby chicks section. Here is the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Finally, stop by and say hey to come of your poultry owning neighbors in the PA thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes and enjoy the ride on the poultry train!! [​IMG]

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read....MORE Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Welcome.

I have purchased chicks 3 times from Ideal.
    Been very happy with them, good luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. christwodog

christwodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2017
    Hi,
    I am new also - I got my chicks from Meyer Hatchery. They arrived the next day after leaving the hatchery (I think it's in Ohio?) and I am down in Homestead, FL which is south of Miami - so they traveled a good distance in 24 hrs. They were in great condition and packed really well. I did purchase them sexed, all female, BUT one turned out to be a rooster! I called them just to let them know, I didn't really expect a refund because I wanted to keep him anyway, but they refunded my money for him right away. So I would use them again, they were very nice on the phone and answered all of my questions patiently. They explained about "auto sexed" chicks, which means you can tell what sex they are when they hatch by color of their legs or some other distinction. I think I understood this correctly, if I'm wrong, someone please tell me! So that may be an option for you to pick breeds that are easily sexed. Good luck! Erin

1 person likes this.
  5. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

:welcome Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  6. kkovacic

kkovacic New Egg

Jan 17, 2017
    Thank you so much for all of this information! This is exactly what we have been looking for! I am so glad I came across this website!

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. :frow

1 person likes this.
  8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Have fun picking out your new flock!

1 person likes this.
  9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under kkovacic [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice, I will just wish you the best of luck with your feathered family.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by