New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nendl2003, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Hello everyone. I'm looking forward to lots of info and helpful peeps. We are somewhat new to raising chickens and any help would be greatly appreciated. We're looking at bantam's and more egg laying chickens. I've read some great info on the bantams. We are still doing our research on which hens to raise, but we are also looking for personal experiences with the different varieties as well.
    Thanks again!
    Nicci

2. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    Welcome! It depends on what your looking for. I love bantams because I do showing in 4h, they are also (personally) easier to handle and care for, but most bantam breeds aren't very good for laying. If you want goood layers, I would recommend the Buff Orphington, the Leghorn, Rode Island Red, Amaraconas and coo-coo Marans. Those breeds gave me loads of eggs.

If you have any questions just ask! I'm not the "chicken expert" but I would be happy to try to answer some of your questions if you have any! [​IMG]

3. Thank you so much! I appreciate your input on which egg layers to choose. We're looking for our own fresh eggs as we do a lot of baking and home cooking; and they're just tastier than store bought. As we're new to raising them, we're also looking for 'easy' or "beginner" hens.

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under nendl2003 [​IMG] Welcome!

I have 5 x spoiled bantam princesses and yes, egg laying is definitely just a bonus because they spend more time broody than they actually do laying .... half the time we end up buying eggs to scramble and feed back to them [​IMG]

However, they are so adorable and we love them to bits!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. RuBaltLion

RuBaltLion Just Hatched

Feb 3, 2017
    [​IMG]

If your looking for an easy or beginner bird I would suggest the Buff Orpington because they're friendly. I have one Buff Orpington and she is really friendly and like to hang out with me.

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Black Australorps are very good layers and said to be a docile breed.

1 person likes this.
  8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Here's an article in the Learning Center you may be interested in checking out (if you haven't already):
    Pickin' the Right Frickin' Chicken

Also, since you enjoy baking, come drop in on the Home Baker's thread. The link to it is in my signature at the bottom of this post.

Thanks for joining us!

1 person likes this.
  9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Nicci, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Best of luck to you and your breeds quest. I love a mixed flock myself!! [​IMG] Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

1 person likes this.
  10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the community! I am pleased you could join us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy yourself here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by