New to Chickens

kkovacic

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2017
Hi everyone! We are getting our first Chicks in 2 weeks and my husband and I are wondering what the best organic feed is? I know when the first come we need to give them electrolyte's since they are coming by mail and we will need starter feed. Any suggestions on brands?? We definitely want to go all organic! TIA!!

Yay!!! Congratulations on your batch of chicks just going to warn you chickens are like potato chips they become addictive over time
1f602.png
1f602.png
Sorry I don't know or use orangic feed but I like purina/Nutrena feed.

You'll want to use a brand of feed that is available locally because shipping is expensive. Many places don't even carry organic feed so you need to visit or call stores around you to see what they have.
They may or may not need electrolytes depending on their condition.
I like to give probiotics in their first water and I use a product called Gro2Max.
I don't get chicks shipped any more but if they're stressed, I like another product called Nutri-Drench which gets vitamins, minerals, amino acids and energy(from molasses) into their blood stream very quickly.

Many more places are carrying organic now, but I do not know where you are located. I f you have a TSC, they should carry both Nature's Best Organic & Purina Organic. I prefer Nature's Best Organic, but they both should be OK. Purina Organic is more expensive at this point. If you only have independent feed stores, just ask what they have! Good luck. I will be getting my first chicks in 5 years next week & can't wait!

Definitely stick with local brands if possible, it just makes everything easier (no shipping) and increases the likelihood of getting fresh product, as well as supports local business. The brands I use are Scratch & Peck and Payback (both of which are from the Pac NW).

Welcome! As everyone already said, check with your local feed stores to see what's available, fresh. Feed needs to be within a month, or less, of manufacture, or it's getting old and loosing vitamins .I feed non-organic Purina Flock Raiser, always fresh and available at my local TSC. Check ahead of time for the best choices and freshness, so you will be ready when the babies arrive. Pictures! Mary

Back
Top Bottom