New to Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kkovacic, Mar 22, 2017.

1. kkovacic

kkovacic New Egg

Jan 17, 2017
    Hi everyone! We are getting our first Chicks in 2 weeks and my husband and I are wondering what the best organic feed is? I know when the first come we need to give them electrolyte's since they are coming by mail and we will need starter feed. Any suggestions on brands?? We definitely want to go all organic! TIA!!

2. bk15

bk15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2016
    Yay!!! Congratulations on your batch of chicks just going to warn you chickens are like potato chips they become addictive over time[​IMG][​IMG] Sorry I don't know or use orangic feed but I like purina/Nutrena feed.

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You'll want to use a brand of feed that is available locally because shipping is expensive. Many places don't even carry organic feed so you need to visit or call stores around you to see what they have.
    They may or may not need electrolytes depending on their condition.
    I like to give probiotics in their first water and I use a product called Gro2Max.
    I don't get chicks shipped any more but if they're stressed, I like another product called Nutri-Drench which gets vitamins, minerals, amino acids and energy(from molasses) into their blood stream very quickly.

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Many more places are carrying organic now, but I do not know where you are located. I f you have a TSC, they should carry both Nature's Best Organic & Purina Organic. I prefer Nature's Best Organic, but they both should be OK. Purina Organic is more expensive at this point. If you only have independent feed stores, just ask what they have! Good luck. I will be getting my first chicks in 5 years next week & can't wait!

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Definitely stick with local brands if possible, it just makes everything easier (no shipping) and increases the likelihood of getting fresh product, as well as supports local business. The brands I use are Scratch & Peck and Payback (both of which are from the Pac NW).

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! As everyone already said, check with your local feed stores to see what's available, fresh. Feed needs to be within a month, or less, of manufacture, or it's getting old and loosing vitamins .I feed non-organic Purina Flock Raiser, always fresh and available at my local TSC. Check ahead of time for the best choices and freshness, so you will be ready when the babies arrive. Pictures! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by