New to Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Janice Eaves, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Janice Eaves

Janice Eaves New Egg

Apr 6, 2017
    St. Clair, MO
    I had some chickens years ago but have to admit I wasn't to sure of what I was doing. I am planning on building an "A FRAME" coop and run. Can anyone tell me how big the coop and run need to be for 8 chickens? Thank you in advance!

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Coop 32 square feet minimum 4' per bird
    Run 80 square feet minimum 10' per bird

3. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC. Be sure to check out the Learning Center and there are also forums on questions that may come up. I like looking through the old forum threads to see what the experts say, learn from the mistakes that have been made, and see how each situation concluded....of course you can start new threads as well.
    Yes, 4 q ft per bird in the coop is considered ideal, 10 in the run, and you might want it bigger because everyone eventually gets additional chickens.....(chicken math, lol)

4. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    X2 on you might want to make it bigger.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Janice Eaves [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by