New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Varrington, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Varrington

Varrington Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2017
    Hello,
    I'm brand new to raising chickens. Due to health issues I can no longer eat commercial eggs and organic eggs around where I live are way too expensive. So, I started my small coop with five hens. They are only about 12 weeks old. Just moved them out of their brooder to their main coop. I know that I will not be getting eggs until late summer or fall. (Just in time for the winter production to slowdown).
    My young ladies are afraid not the nesting boxes and would rather lay in the dirt by the waterers. I have tried feathering and use the same material that was in their brooder. Any ideas for this beginner?

2. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Overrun With Chickens

Mar 18, 2017
    Canada
    Hello! [​IMG]!

If your chickens are not laying eggs yet, they will have no need for a nesting box. (yet) Do you have a roost for them? They like to sleep on a roost.
    If you really want to get them used to the nesting box, you could buy a couple of plastic eggs and place them in the nesting box.

Have fun!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Varrington, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Depending on the breed you have, if they are 12 weeks now, I think you should start expecting eggs in June!! And as for lounging in the dirt...that's just what chickens do - dust bathing. The dust helps control parasites plus if they are warm and the ground by the waterers is damp, it's a way to cool off as well - nothing to worry about. If you haven't done so yet make sure you read up in the Learning Center - it is packed with informative articles on all things chicken and will help you as your ladies grow. Here's the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Best wishes and enjoy your chicken adventure!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Varrington [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Varrington

Varrington Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2017
    Thank You everyone for the advice.
    I do have small perch which came with the coop. I bought one to add but it is too large to put inside so it is in their "play" yard.
    My girls are Americauna and Astralourp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by