New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BeckyLynn3021, Jun 23, 2017.

1. BeckyLynn3021

BeckyLynn3021 In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2017
    WV
    IMG_0407.JPG Hi! I'm Becky from WV. I rgot 6 red sex link pullets about a month ago. They have not started laying eggs yet. They are very friendly and always Run to me for treats. Their names are Inky, Pinky, Blinky, Clyde, cherry, and dot (from Pac-man). I got a young rooster a few days ago, Pac-man, and he has started pecking at my girls when they are eating in the mornings. I thought roosters were supposed to find food for the hens not peck at them and chase them away? Is it just because he is young and will grow out of it?

2. Lamaremybabies

Lamaremybabies Crowing

Nov 2, 2015
    New England
    Your hens will probably start laying soon. Keep in mind if you see the hens crouching when you go to pick them up or pet them it's a sign of coming into sexual maturity and will most likely begin laying in 1-2 weeks. As for your rooster not all are as giving to the ladies, especially when they're young. My rooster used to pick up good food call the ladies over eat it and mount them. He doesn't do it nearly as much now but he's also 1 1/2 now. Your rooster is probably trying to trick the ladies into mating and they are basically telling him no.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    BeckyLynn3021 likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Bird is the word

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Congrats on your new flock and rooster! Judging from the picture, your girls are too young to be laying yet. Still too young. As for your rooster, be very careful he doesn't mate with them until they are closer to laying. He could harm them not only with his weight but damage the Cloaca, the little flapper that opens and closes to allow eggs or poop to pass.

As for his not being friendly yet, hopefully it's because they are still young yet. Roosters are supposed to take care of the hens in all fashions no matter what their ages, so watch that he doesn't turn on them. Occasionally it happens, a rooster will attack then hens and he will need to be removed. It's not likely, but it can happen. So just watch over them as they age.

Good luck with your new flock and welcome to ours! :)

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    X2 they look too young still. He looks quite a bit older than the girls. Sometimes roosters are just not nice.
    Welcome to BYC.
    This video may help you learn to navigate this site better.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: