New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by diverdale, Oct 14, 2019.

1. diverdale

diverdale Chirping

Oct 14, 2019
    Garner, NC
    My Coop
    Howdy folks. Dale here, from North Carolina. My wife and I have been talking about raising chickens for several years now. This spring we finally decided to make the plunge. We got 3 chicks 17 weeks ago (18 this Wednesday). 1 Buff Orpington (Buffy) 1 Speckled Sussex (Speck) and a Bard Rock (Annabelle) Started out with a small one from Tractor's Supply. Said it would house 5-8 chickens. What a laugh that turned out to be.

little_coop.jpg
    Added hardware cloth the outside for added critter proofing.

little_coop1.jpg

So a few weeks ago, I started building our super coop. Got a lot of inspiration from the Wichita Cabin Coop and the Palace Coop. Run dimensions are 6'x10' with 8'x12' roof. I'm getting close to being finished. Here's a few in process pictures.

chicks.jpg
    The girls know it's for them and they want me to hurry up ... lol

coop1.jpg

I'm no roofer, but it turned out pretty well. (Those little humps flattened down in a couple days)

coop_ceiling.jpg

Didn't want them to bump their heads on the roofing nails, so this was the solution.

coop2.jpg

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

nest_box.jpg

Nesting box framing.

Still have to finish up the nest box and some trim. But I'm on the home stretch now. My wife has done the painting and I've done the construction....it's been a fun project but I'm ready for it to be done. Target move in date is the end of October.

I know, this is a lot of coop for 3 chickens ... we do plan on adding more next year. We'll use the little coop to get them up to size. Comments are welcomed.

Dale

2. michaelbell317

michaelbell317 Chirping

Feb 26, 2019
    Longmont, CO
    My Coop
    I, too, used the plans for the Chicken Palace, but I did modify a couple of things. That's a nice looking coop so far. Pictures of mine are posted in here somewhere. We have six hens. They all seem to be pretty happy and have plenty of space. I have two roosts inside the coop for them at night, but they all sleep on just one.

3. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
  4. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! Nice coop.

5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello Dale and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here. You have great looking set up.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

6. Kiki

Kiki Is your thermometer calibrated?

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  7. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Good afternoon Dale and welcome to the BYC flock!!!
    20191011_192701-COLLAGE.jpg

8. Callender Girl

Callender Girl Crowing

Sep 18, 2018
    North Central Iowa
    Nice work on the coop, Dale. And, it will be nice in the spring when you get more chicks -- as we all do -- to have someplace for them to grow up, or to isolate someone who needs an infirmary ward. I have or have had all three of the breeds you have; I enjoyed them all.

BYC is a great place with great people -- and one more is always welcome!!

9. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Crossing the Road

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frowVery nice coop you're building. The tongue and groove looks good! That's what we've got on the whole inside of our house.

10. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Nice coop build! Good luck with your flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: