New to chickens

diverdale

Chirping
Oct 14, 2019
Garner, NC
My Coop
My Coop
Howdy folks. Dale here, from North Carolina. My wife and I have been talking about raising chickens for several years now. This spring we finally decided to make the plunge. We got 3 chicks 17 weeks ago (18 this Wednesday). 1 Buff Orpington (Buffy) 1 Speckled Sussex (Speck) and a Bard Rock (Annabelle) Started out with a small one from Tractor's Supply. Said it would house 5-8 chickens. What a laugh that turned out to be.

little_coop.jpg

Added hardware cloth the outside for added critter proofing.

little_coop1.jpg

So a few weeks ago, I started building our super coop. Got a lot of inspiration from the Wichita Cabin Coop and the Palace Coop. Run dimensions are 6'x10' with 8'x12' roof. I'm getting close to being finished. Here's a few in process pictures.

chicks.jpg

The girls know it's for them and they want me to hurry up ... lol

coop1.jpg

I'm no roofer, but it turned out pretty well. (Those little humps flattened down in a couple days)

coop_ceiling.jpg

Didn't want them to bump their heads on the roofing nails, so this was the solution.

coop2.jpg

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

nest_box.jpg

Nesting box framing.

Still have to finish up the nest box and some trim. But I'm on the home stretch now. My wife has done the painting and I've done the construction....it's been a fun project but I'm ready for it to be done. Target move in date is the end of October.

I know, this is a lot of coop for 3 chickens ... we do plan on adding more next year. We'll use the little coop to get them up to size. Comments are welcomed.

Dale

Hello Dale and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here. You have great looking set up.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Nice work on the coop, Dale. And, it will be nice in the spring when you get more chicks -- as we all do -- to have someplace for them to grow up, or to isolate someone who needs an infirmary ward. I have or have had all three of the breeds you have; I enjoyed them all.

BYC is a great place with great people -- and one more is always welcome!!

Back
Top Bottom