New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by noconachickenmama, Oct 14, 2019.

1. noconachickenmama

noconachickenmama In the Brooder

Oct 14, 2019
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Hi, I am new to chickens; however, I have had guinea hens in the past, but a long time ago. What's funny is, I asked my boyfriend if I could get guineas, then after researching, found that the guineas are more likely to roost in a coop if they are raised with chickens, which is what led me to the chickens.
    (2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    I purchased 10 guineas and 8 chickens last month. I have a pretty large coop (8' x 6' x 6' tall). They will free-range when adults, but for now while they are young, I have 1 100 sq. ft run that I have predator-proofed and attached so they can get some fresh air and sunshine (and poop less in the coop!)
    (3) What breeds do you have?
    I have 2 each of: Blue Silkies, Black Copper Marans, Rhode Island Reds and Speckled Sussex
    (4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I love to watch them. It's very relaxing. And they eat bugs, which I hate (that's why I bought guineas, too)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? We have a small "farm". We have 7 longhorns, a donkey, 3 dogs and now the chickens and guineas

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I'm in the medical field

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D Just stumbled on your website looking for chicken info

2. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Crossing the Road

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frowWould love to see pictures when you get a chance!

3. FortCluck

FortCluck Crowing

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    :welcome

Post pics of your flock when you get a chance!

4. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC!

5. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Good afternoon and welcome to the BYC flock!!!
    20191011_192701-COLLAGE.jpg

6. BaaKaaawk

BaaKaaawk Crowing

Apr 4, 2011
    Huntersville, NC
  7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Enabler

Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Good luck with your chicken's and Guinea's!

8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States, UK, Europe, Australia, Canada (for other countries, check here - Where am I? Where are you!)

Best wishes

Pork Pie

9. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Partially Enlightened

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  10. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: