new to chickens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by larryj57, Oct 15, 2009.

1. larryj57

larryj57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    I am just getting backk home and . the chicken bug has bitten hard going to pick up a hovabator incubator today after ready all the excitement about hatching eggs i just got to give it a try. wish me luck

2. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    good luck!!!!!! I am so jealous!!! I don't have the money to get one yet!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Good luck! I have the hovabator 1602 with auto turner. LOVE IT!

4. larryj57

larryj57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    I am trading 7 Black cochin hens for the hovabator,egg turner, and a little giant incubator to use as a hatcher. do ya'll think this is a far trade, the guy said they were all like new

5. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    Good luck! I got a Hova-bator 2362 with turner off of craigslist cheap and I was so thrilled!! I have my first hatch in there now.

Good luck!!

Laney

6. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm dying to hatch some chicks! [​IMG] I just don't know if it's a good idea going into the winter with chicks. [​IMG]

7. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Quote:Yea, I've got 22 in the house right now that I hatched 2wks ago. I bought a new Dickey incubator and a hatcher since then and am dying to use them. I don't think the DW will be very understanding though if I hatch anymore chicks right now.

8. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    It depends on where you plan to brood them etc. If you have someplace warm to brood them or a good outdoor setup with heat lamps etc then it's OK (or a broody mama willing to take them on).

I don't, but I have someone who wants chicks, even in the winter. I let her know I wasn't set up or able to care for the chicks after they hatch so if she doesn't take them I'm craigslisting them right away.

It's tough, but my husband is allergic to the feathers/dander so we can't have them in the house. If she can't take them on day 2 or 3 then they have to go.

So, if you have a place in your house to brood them for 5 or 6 weeks, plan to sell them, or have a great outdoor setup then having winter chicks provides for early spring eggs.

Also some folks live in warmer climates so for them it's not winter hatching at all.

Laney

9. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:That's what I'm trying to use to convince DH! If I wait until spring, it'll just be that much longer before we get more eggs! [​IMG]

10. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I got overly excited about hatching and have 3 day old chicks now. Not thinking it through. I also have 12 wk and 10 week chicks that need to go out to the coop, they are in an attached garage and the dust is awful, I think its from the DE and feathers and pine bedding. Big Dust Clouds and chickies are not fans of the shop vac, which is now covered with dust [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by