New to Chickens...

Butterflychicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself and say hello !

I rescued a Rooster a couple of months ago because a friend called and said he had shown up outside her bedroom window earlier in the week and if someone didn't come and get him she was going to shoot him. I was going to be getting some chicks in a couple of weeks and so she thought I would make a good home for him.

I took him in, open arms, but soon realised that he needed company to stop him wandering off, the chicks wouldn't be any good to him as he was already fully grown, so I accepted another egg laying female, then I was offered two more.

A couple of weeks later my chicks arrived. I had ordered both for meat and for eggs. So now I have loads of chickens
smile.png

I am loving the experience, I have a big barn with two coup areas. One with an outside enclosure and one without. I am keeping the meat birds in the space with the outside enclosure.

The fully grown egg layers roam loose with the Rooster. When they see me coming, they charge at me because they know I am going to feed them some corn. It makes me laugh and I just love hanging out with them at odd times during my day. They make me smile
smile.png

Now I need to learn a few things and am having a few issues with my meat birds, so will be asking questions and look forward to getting answers.

For now though, I just wanted to say Hi.

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. What a nice person you are for rescuring a rooster. Now look at you, a full fledge chicken owner.
ya.gif
My only suggestion is if possible to raise your meat birds separtely.
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the welcome everyone. Having chickens has changed my life !

big_smile.png
I love my Rooster, his name is Noble and he loves his new girls. He is not mean to them at all and they love him
smile.png

I am keeping the meat birds separate from the layers, my barn space is quite large so they both have plenty of space.

I will post photographs later... I am a bit of a camera geek!

Thanks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom