New to chickens.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by noodles, Feb 25, 2008.

1. noodles

noodles Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Madison, AL
    I am looking to building me a coop. I have gotten an idea from some other sites, so I know what i am gonna build. My problem is my wife isn't too keen on the plan, but I figured if i make sure i get some hens that lay white eggs, I would be in a little better shape. I know leghorns produce white eggs, but I don't have a clue where to buy any from when I get ready to. Any help would be great.. I am in North Alabama. My name is Noodles.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Welcome to BYC! I'm in Canada, so I can;t really help you out for finding any, but welcome! [​IMG][​IMG]

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Hello and welcome!

There's some folks on here down your way...

When you're ready you could post in the Buy Sell Trade and Giveaway section.

Leghorns aren't the only ones who lay white eggs.
    Anconas, Andalusians, Appenzellers, Belgian D'Anvers, D'Uccles and Sabelpoots, Buttercups, Campines, Catalanas, Crevecoeurs, Cubalayas, Dorkings, Fayoumis, Hamburgs, Hollands, Houdans, Shabos, La Fleche, Lakenvelders, Lamonas, Minorcas, Modern Games, Old English Games, Phoenix, Polish, Red Caps, Rosecombs, Sebrights, Spanish, Sultans, Sumatras, these all do too.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html
    Here's a chart for how they are as confinement, egg size, temperment and such...

Now for the hard part...this site has pictures! LOL
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens

4. crazychickens

crazychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Belleville, Wisconsin
    Hello & Welcome!

I live in Wisconsin, so I cant help you, if its full grown hens your looking for, but raising chicks is so much fun!
    Messy, but fun! I raise and have brown egg layers. My husband was not to keen on the idea at first. He grew up in the city and I grew up on a farm. The first time he had his first fresh egg he was hooked. Now we also raise meat birds, yum. I have all brown egg layers, but I'm going to get a few white egg layers. I like how the eggs look in a bowl when they are all different colors.

Good luck

5. 5.0 Clunker

5.0 Clunker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2008
    There is a lot of useful infromation on this site and around the web. I am fairly new to chickens myself but I have learned a lot for just reading threads on here and when I have a question I just google it or make a thread on here. Folks on this site are very helpful.

Has far as a coop you need to decide how many birds you want to start with, once you figure that out you can start to plan your coop. I found all the supplies I needed for free and just started to build it. Check out the coop design pages on this site.

Hope I was some what.[​IMG]

6. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    welcome to byc

7. noodles

Feb 25, 2008
    Madison, AL
    Ok, If I decide to raise chicks how do I go about doing so? Would I need an incubator?

Noodles

8. noodles

Feb 25, 2008
    Madison, AL
    Oh and I plan on about 5 hens. Don't know if I want a rooster just yet.. The coop I was looking to build has enough space for 5-6 hens. and If i need more space I figure i will just build another coop..

noodles

9. fallenweeble

fallenweeble Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2007
    show your wife some really cute chick/chicken pics. maybe bribe her with a silkie or two? i bet in the end she'll be even MORE into chickens than you are!
    good luck with your endeavor and welcome to BYC- it's an awesome place.

10. noodles

Feb 25, 2008
    Madison, AL
    ok, the more i read on this whole hatching thing, i kinda like it.. Where is a good place to get a incubator and what type is best..

noodles

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by