New to chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Anthony730, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Anthony730

Anthony730 New Egg

Mar 27, 2011
    Ok so I've decided I want to keep laying hens in my backyard, of course the reason I'm here.
    I've been researching quite a bit, but i still have a few questions, but first some background:

For now this will only be temporary as i will be leaving town in a few months for
    college and nobody else in my family will want to take care of them, but i have a place
    they can go when i leave. Our town doesn't allow chickens, so it will have to be kept secret,
    but i don't see it being much of a problem. Its a small town, and all but one or two of the neighbors are friendly.
    It is regular just residential lots though, so there's not much space between neighbors.

I plan on keeping 3-4 hens. I found some locally, Jersey Giant, Black Star, Araucana and Orpington.
    Which breed would you all recommend? I need them to be quiet, fairly docile, and still good egg layers, and not too broody. I was thinking the Orpingtons would be best?

I'm building my coop from old cabinets that I have. It will be off the ground, and inside dimensions are 5 feet long, 30 inches tall, and 30 inches wide.
    Its the best i can do for now, will that be too narrow?
    Then I'm going to make a run out of t posts and chicken wire. There's not any predators around to worry about so i know chicken wire will do, i might try hog panels though.
    Should i leave the ground in the run as grass? or cover the grass with something? I know i should put straw or chips in the coop.

I'm sorry if these are answered elsewhere, I've been researching quite a while.

Thanks,
    Anthony

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    Not sure on the width question but

[​IMG]

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    If you'll be leaving in a few months, and getting rid of your flock, perhaps you might just wait until things are more permanent. Plus, since you can't have them in town this may grow to be a hassle for you that you don't need while you're getting ready to move away. They'll be plenty of time later in life to have chickens. I'd hate to see you get super attached, etc.

4. Anthony730

Anthony730 New Egg

Mar 27, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome!

Leaving is still 5-6 months away. I'm always doing different projects and trying things like this (its not just a whim, my projects don't just get dumped when i get bored with them). And leaving them will be just like when i leave my dogs, and ill be able to see them at the place i have for them when i leave whenever i visit home. Thanks for the concern though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by