New to chickens

SoORchick73

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
We just got 6 chicks last Friday and hubby has been building their coop and run all weekend. Im excited to take on this new adventure, and having our own fresh eggs. I am learning a lot from this forum, and we borrowed our coop design from someone else here. From what I have read, once the coop is done, I can close them in it with their heat lamp right? Even though here in southern oregon its cool at night the light will keep them warm?

Once they are fully feathered I will unblock the door and allow them to go outside. From what ive read, each week I decrease the temp under the lamp by 5 degrees. So does that mean if its at 90 now they will be under the lamp for another month still until I get them down to 70?

Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
It sounds like you have done your research. I kept them in a heated brooder until they were 3-4 weeks old and then turned them into the coop with a heat lamp. They will need a source of heat until they are fully feathered (6-7 weeks), especially at night. The heat should be lowered each week as you have described. You should make sure that your coop is predator proof and that it protects the chicks from harsh weather.
smile.png

Last edited:
I would add, watch how they act and adjust temp by that as well. I've yet to have a batch of chicks that want to be as warm as the book says.

Back
Top Bottom