New to Chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by woofie83, May 16, 2011.

1. woofie83

woofie83 New Egg

May 13, 2011
    I am new to Backyard Chickens and am very glad to have found this site. I got my first chicken a week ago. A friend called a week ago and asked my husband if we wanted a chicken and he agreed. My first thought was "Wow, what am I gonna do with a chicken?" I had absolutly no experience:cool: in raising them and no clue what to do! But when I got home and laid eyes on this beautiful 2 month old chick I fell in love! I wanted to know everything I possibly could to raise and take good care of her. Thats how I found Backyard Chickens. I only have just the one chicken but I plan on getting more very soon. Im not sure what breed of chicken she is, all i know is that she is 2 months old, a girl, and very friendly and a pretty rusty red color. My husband is going to build a coop very soon. I am from Largo, Florida and have 2 children who are also very excited about raising chickens. We also have a 2 yr old American Bulldog/ Border Collie mix who is a big sweet baby. My favorite hobby is to cook for my family and my husband loves to experiment in the kitchen right along with me. I also enjoy growing vegetables and hot peppers. I am looking forward to enjoying some fresh eggs and maybe even a few tasty birds if I dont get to attached to them all. I am also looking forward to this new adventure and to learn new things from Backyard Chickens and all of you! ~Kristen A.~ AKA Woofie83
  2. dkvart1

dkvart1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Kristen [​IMG]

Glad you found your way here. You'll find a great group of knowledgeable chicken lovers here and information on all things chicken. Enjoy your new chicken adventure!
  3. mlward

mlward Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Tuscarora, NY
    Hi [​IMG] and welcome from NY! You found the right place for info, socializing and (dare I say it?) fellow enablers! Yes, you MUST get more chickens! [​IMG]
  4. Player Hater

Player Hater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
  5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Congrats on your chick & good luck [​IMG] When you're able to, you can post pics of her to the What Breed or Gender is This? & get help figuring out what breed she is.
  6. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Good luck with your chicken friends!!!!
    From Utah [​IMG]
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.
  8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Now, just let chicken math take over. You won't have just one for long.

9. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine
  10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by