New to chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mommato5, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Mommato5

Mommato5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    I have been lurking here at least 2 months, trying to learn everything I could about having chickens in our back yard. Now we have them! Well, we have 3. Their temporary coop is a wire dog kennel covered by a tarp and their run is a dog run that our (spoiled) dog refuses to use. [​IMG] We will need to build a wood coop before winter comes because we live in northern Colorado and get lots of snow and sub-zero temps!

We were told when we bought our chickens (from a grower we found on Craigslist) that they were older than we now suspect they are. Just means we have to wait longer for that elusive first egg. [​IMG]

Heidi is our Red Star. We were told she is 19 weeks and due to lay any day, but her comb and waddles say otherwise!
    [​IMG]

Turkey is our Cuckoo Marans. We were told she is about 18 weeks old but again, comb and waddles say otherwise!
    [​IMG]

Pumpkin (or Jelly Bean, we aren't set on a name for her yet) is our EE. She is supposed be 9 weeks old. We'll have to wait and see!
    [​IMG]

None of these chickies are used to humans or treats so they avoid us completely and also avoid any treats we put out. It's sad, but I think they they will come around with enough time and exposure to us! When it comes time to add to our chickies I plan on getting day old chicks so they grow up used to us!

In addition to our 3 new pullets, we have a 5 year old Anatolian Shepard, Zeus.
    [​IMG]

A 3 month old kitten Harley
    [​IMG]

And 5 kids ages 3-13.
    [​IMG]

I am so happy and excited to join the ranks of backyard chicken owners!

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] I love the pics. I really like Zeus! [​IMG] [​IMG] Glad you joined! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. Hershey my attack chicken and I want to WELCOME YOU ABOARD.

[​IMG]

Hershey is a Chocolate Orpington Bantam.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Everybody has such nice smiles!

5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    [​IMG] from Missouri1

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. citybiddies

citybiddies Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    Hi from SC! Glad you joined! [​IMG]

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Its great to have you here with us! [​IMG] What a wonderful family you have! [​IMG] Have fun, and enjoy those new girls!!!

10. Beaker Duck

Beaker Duck BYC's CUTE Travelling Mascot

Jul 22, 2011
    All Over
    Heckooooo!! You have a good looking family, and chickens, and dog! Once those gals start laying you will have a colorful egg basket!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by