New to chickens...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by eapowell, Apr 12, 2012.

1. eapowell

eapowell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    For Easter I bought my son a Easter Chick from the feed and seed store here in town. The lady at the store said she was not sure if it is a Silkie or an Ameraucana. I was hoping someone on here might be able to tell if I posted some pictures. I have a soft heart for animals and when I saw the Easter Chicks I wanted to take them all home and give them a place to live but could only take one so please don't think I bought it just because I thought it was cute. We have affectionately named the chick "Biddy" since we do not know if it's a male or female at this point but I could really use some help identifying what kind of chicken it is and roughly about how old it is, since the lady at the feed store didn't know the answer to that either. I keep Biddy in the house because I'm afraid of it getting hurt outside since it is so little. It follows me around the house and if I move out of it's sight, Biddy will chirp loudly until it finds me again. Biddy likes to be close and cuddle so maybe I spoil it a little too much since I have it with me most of the day until the sun goes down. Any information on what breed Biddy is would be useful. The first picture is of the easter chicks at the feed store. The second one is of the one that I have at home sleeping next to me in my blanket.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hard to say what breed they will become but usually Production Whites, Leghorns, Cornish x or any white birds would suffice to put dyes on them.

Instead of just one, can you give Biddy his companion or two more? Chickens are social creatures and do you have the set up for him?

You would need brooder lights, a plastic tote box and waterer and feeder. Shavings/shredded newspaper for bedding. Holding the chick your body isn't going to help it, they need roughly around 90 degrees or higher the first week.

Not sure where the supplier got the dyed chicks but in alot of states, its illegial.

Please give him the care and maybe one more companion so he would not be so alone.

3. eapowell

Apr 12, 2012
    *sigh* I've had to type this reply 4 times now because Biddy will not stop jumping on the keyboard and pressing keys.

I have everything I need for him in his box. He's got the heat lamp, water, feeder, shredded newspapers..etc...The problem is that Biddy refuses to stay in it....He's a smart chicken and finds ways to escape and then goes on the hunt looking for me, chirping loudly until I pick him up. I do plan on getting him a companion...the feed store had 12 chicks all together I believe and when I go back next week, I'm planning on buying at least 3 more so he's not alone. I had heard about dying chickens being illegal, but it's not in Georgia...I still find it on the mean side because it causes people to impulse buy them under the impression that it's more of a toy and not an animal. That's why I bought Biddy...I wanted to make sure he at least had somewhere good to go and wouldn't die at the hands of an "impluse buy".

Update: Went up to the feed store and bought another chick which we have named Bella. This one is quite smaller than Biddy but I did take Biddy up there and they said Biddy is about 2 weeks old and is either an Ameraucana or a White Rock. The new chick is a white rock and is 3 days old and Biddy is quite confused by the new arrival. I hope Biddy is nice to Bella.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan

Could you post an update on how the 2 babies are getting along now , please?

Do you have any pics of the brooder and both babies together?

How many other chickens do you have and what breed?

Geez, sounds like an interrogation...:oops:Please believe that I just like to get to know new people to BYC.. :welcome

Usually feed stores have a minimum of 3 - 6 baby chicks to be able to purchase which is done just so people do not " impulse buy" , especially at Easter time when they color the chicks..

Im curious as to what type of walls and top you have in the brooder that Biddy was able to get out ?

Im glad that at least 2 babies are together.

They are such social creatures that it is just so important to have a friend . I had a baby chick that had to be separated from the rest of the babies due to one of her flock mates accidentally stepped on her leg.

The rest of the babies have " paired up " already, so I didnt want to take one from there to put in with the injured baby.

In just the 1 day it took me to track down where I could get just 1 chick, this baby became so depressed, wouldnt eat etc.:(

As soon as I brought the new baby home, Sophie , the Jersey Giant baby, Perked up , started checking out the new baby, i.e. slight pecks etc.

I truly believe that getting Sophie a friend, saved her life !!:weee

So, here's hoping for happy babies who's feathers will grow in FAST, so the baby will look like a baby chick should !!

5. smw18

smw18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    my question with these colored chickens. Do they grow up that color or when do the rid the colorful colors?

6. Zach123

Zach123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    Not silkie and probably not ameraucana, lol. Im glad Biddy has a good home though! Although, I must say, all my chickens are impulse buys because they are cute, but I also love raising chickens so it works out I guess hahaha.

Smw18, the dye is only on the baby's down and once the feathers come in and the colored down falls out they will be whatever color they naturally are.

7. smw18

smw18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Florida
    Aw that always concerned me. Thank you

8. eapowell

Apr 12, 2012
    I do not have any pictures of them together yet. My mobile phone is out of minutes so I'm not able to upload any new ones until I renew my card :(

At first Biddy was apprehensive about Bella and she was sort of shy of Biddy and cowered a little bit. She's half the size of of Biddy so I can imagine it must of been a little weird for her but I picked both of them up and held them with me together and they soon snuggled up to each other. Now they are like two peas in a pod. Bella will not go anywhere without Biddy and likewise for Biddy. Anytime I pick one up without the other they chirp loudly until reunited. They've become best friends and even play nicely together outside. Biddy has been "showing her the ropes" outside as to what's good to eat, where the good stuff is, and they never stray too far from me. I guess I've become like their adopted mom. I have noticed that Biddy does jump at Bella a lot, but its more like he's jumping to get to her quicker since they are constantly side by side. Could this possibly be a sign that Biddy is in fact a roo and not a hen?? I did notice that Biddy was checking Bella out...pecking at her slightly and sort of "sizing her up". At first it was more like a "what are you doing in my space" deal, but now they groom each other and Biddy will let Bella curl up right beside him and go to sleep. I do have some cute pictures of them sleeping together that I will post as soon as I can.

I also noticed that Biddy has become slightly protective of Bella. He runs towards people when they pick up Bella, and has pecked at one of the kids for touching Bella. He didn't hurt the kid, and I wasn't sure if it was purely on accident or if Biddy is actually being protective since Biddy is older...is that normal?

The first setup I had for Biddy by himself was a cardboard box which he figured out how to jump out of once he got his wings in. Now they've been upgraded to a plastic tote with enough room for both of them and their food and water dishes. Once we move, and they are old enough to go outside, I'm going to build them a coop of their own which my fiance is going to help me with.

Right now I only have the two chickens, Biddy (2wks old) and Bella, (4 days old). According to the feed store salesman, they are both white rocks, but he's not sure on Biddy yet. He did say he could possibly be an Ameraucana but won't know for sure for another 2 weeks or so when more feathers come in. More than likely he said that Biddy is a White Rock also. I want to get more eventually, but it probably won't be until I own my own place since renting has it's downsides with pets.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  9. eapowell

Apr 12, 2012
    I took some cute pictures of Biddy and Bella enjoying a nice dust bath outside...They were filthy and covered in dirt but it was funny and a good laugh to watch them throw dirt on each other and roll around in it. :) The babies are really getting along great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by