New to Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sbshadjr, Nov 9, 2012.

1. sbshadjr

sbshadjr New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    I am in upstate South Carolina and have 1/3 acre of wooded land that is available for chickens. I have never done anything like this but my wife and daughter visited a friend with a backyard flock and they are hooked. I will be reviewing coop constuction but would like some help with what type of breed works best in my area? What pitfalls should someone new to chicken watch out for? What was the best advice you got when starting your flock?

Thanks in advance

SBShadjr

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Best of luck with your poultry pursuits!!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] There are so many things to learn and look out for, but the best is to keep them healthy and safe. Make sure their coop and run is cleaned regularly, dust for mites and other bugs (DE is good), deworm them twice a year and make sure your coop and run is predator proof! I lost quite a few birds to predators, don't underestimate them!
    I"d suggest you look in the Breeds section at the different breeds's good and strong points to help you decide which one to get and do look at the Coops section for ideas. We have some really creative members here who's designs will inspire you and save you a lot of money!

4. AMBantams

AMBantams Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    Welcome from Florida. BYC provided many great ideas in coop design and layout. It's a great resource.

5. poultrylubber

poultrylubber Chillin' With My Peeps

WELCOME to BYC from Northern Michigan. Glad you joined!! I would say to watch out for hen pecking and bullies. As to breeds it really depends on what you want them for, as pets or for maximum egg production.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Chicken Happy

Chicken Happy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2012
    North Idaho
    Welcome! [​IMG]

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

You should talk to the people in your area (try Where am I, where are you) to find out about specific breeds. RIRs, barred rocks and buff orpingtons are common starting breeds though, and very popular!

You need to watch out for predators if you have those where you are - including flying ones. So you need to make sure your coop's completely covered.

Good luck!
    I hope you find all the info you need here, and enjoy the site. :D

9. GulfStar

GulfStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    First: Welcome aboard!

Best advice........ Build a bigger coop than you think you need, you will have more chickens than you think.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by