new to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by crazyc, Feb 26, 2013.

1. crazyc

crazyc New Egg

Feb 25, 2013
    Pilot mountain n.c.
    I bought a quad of silver campine chickens 3 hens 1 roo my coop was attacked by coyotes they killed my roo and 2 hens and i'm
    just so sick 1 hen survived because she roosted to safety now shes so lonely the breed is hard for me to find I was wondering now
    that my coop is properly fixed and equipped with electric fence on the exterior what other breeds may get along with her would red sex lenk hens please help thanks chris

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Chris, welcome to BYC - sorry for the predator attack. Your Campine might get along better with birds that are somewhat more her size. Good luck at getting some flock mates for her.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Chris, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us but sorry to hear about your loss! I think the birds you add will get along well with your hen if introduced properly. There are lots of threads on BYC about integrating new birds. Type "adding birds" or "adding new chickens" in the BYC search bar and you will get lots of results. Good luck to you!!

4. most chickens get along well.

5. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky![​IMG]

6. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

7. Cluckspert

Cluckspert New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    Hello and [​IMG] from Claremont, NC! Glad you decided to join us and take an interest in chickens! I hope you find all you need and more! If I can be of assistance, please let me know either through this thread or a PM! Good luck!

8. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    [​IMG]

9. Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. If you need help figuring out what breeds to get after you lost most of your others Here are some! Black Australorps are sweet and great layers and make good broody hens! White Leghorns are great layers and are not likely to go broody! Buff Orpingtons are good Broodys and good layers and pretty freindly! Jersy Giants lay well. They lay extra large eggs and are sweet chickens! Americanas are very sweet and are good layers with cool pastel green or blue eggs! Most chickens get along well with each other. They are group animals so they should get along! That short list was just some breeds with 1 or 2 of their qaulitys to maybe help you decide what breeds you may want! Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by