New to Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by akelley, Mar 7, 2013.

1. akelley

akelley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Conroe, TX
    Hello all!

My husband and I are located in Houston, and just starting a move to the Conroe area. We will hopefully be all moved by the end of april.

Our house here in Houston did not have enough room for chickens, but since we're moving, I'm starting to look into starting a flock. We're not new to animals, but definitely new to chickens!

If anyone has any advice at all, please send it my way. I think we'll be ready to get some chickens by June, which gives me plenty of time to research. I would like to find a hatchery near us so that I don't have to have them shipped. Any recommendations?

I also am not sure what breed would be best. I want a dual purpose chicken that thrives in this SE Texas heat. I'd also like a few different breeds. I'm thinking a four hen flock (and husband wants a rooster).

Anyone else located in or near Conroe? I'm excited to be starting the chicken-keeping journey!

2. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]
    I'm not near you, but I know where you are located. Im originally from a small town near Beaumont. I have Wyandottes and some sex links. I love them. You can get chicks from your local feed store if you don't want to have them shipped. I'm sure Texas has a thread on here. There may be someone in there that is close to you and some for sale!

3. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Im going to copy and paste you post into the Texas thread so that if there is someone near you, they can message you.

4. akelley

akelley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Conroe, TX
    Thanks so much! I'm still feeling things out here on BYC :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by