New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Wolffranch, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Wolffranch

Wolffranch New Egg

May 3, 2013
    Missoula
    Hi there all! I live just outside Missoula and the kids and I started 4H and raising chickens this year. It has been an adventure for sure. Can anyone tell me how the Spring Fling in Hamilton works? I know it's in May, but we are thinking about going next year. I'm going to end up ordering new chicks (thanks to a new resident fox two weeks before fair show time) and I will end up ordering way too many chicks in order to meet the minimum requirements for shipping. Can I take the extras to the Fling? I'll be making my order in Nov or Dec, so the chicks will be a few months old by the time the Fling is upon us. Once I get my initial flock I plan on breeding our own line of 4H show chickens for the kids, but you have to start somewhere. There again, after I hatch out the chicks and see who is going to make the cut for show and breeding, I will want to get rid of the extras. We are thinking Bantam breeds of a couple different varieties. I'm not sure I want the hassle of putting an ad in the paper or on craig's list. It doesn't bother me to butcher, but Bantams aren't exactly a meal chicken. Can I enter in the Fling and sell them? Or do you have to be a registered breeder or something? What happens if I end up with crossbreeds? Can those go to the Fling, or is it purebred only? How much does it cost to enter in the Fling? Do people barter and trade chicks at the fling as well? Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate any help I can get. I'm a planner, and I want to have some ideas before I'm down to the wire going "now what?" Thanks in advance!!

2. junecleavage

junecleavage Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    south carolina
    Hi!

I don't know anything about the fling, but I do know there is a section on the forum here for swaps. You could probably get rid of extra chickens there, too.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome to the site! [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Hope you can tighten security so Mr.Fox won't be well fed all winter.

8. Wolffranch

Wolffranch New Egg

May 3, 2013
    Missoula
    We are working on that now actually. More chain link and chicken wire and a couple new fence posts will (cross my fingers) help solve the problem. The neighbors are on board to help trap the fox as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by