New to chickens!

chickyen

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 29, 2013
On BYC...
I've just joined BYC in hopes of gathering up all the information I can before actually getting chickens.
D.gif
I plan on getting chickens in the spring, (around march) and I am still deciding if I really want chickens. I have a shed in my yard that I plan on using as a chicken coop, with a few adjustments of course. if I were to get chickens, I would get three maybe, a Rhode Island Red, a Red Star, and a Barred Rock. Well, it's probably time to start scanning this site for some info...
frow.gif

welcome-byc.gif
chicken math follows an addiction - you start out with a couple of cute chicks and think how nice it would be to have different breeds or colors, etc. Before you know it you are acquiring more and more chickens. We are all enablers here so we won't tell you to stop or help you do it. Sorry.
gig.gif

I started out with 3. Now I have 10. Picked up 7 today. I want fresh eggs and I like to share mine with family. I sell them to my coworkers.

I started out with 3. Now I have 10. Picked up 7 today. I want fresh eggs and I like to share mine with family. I sell them to my coworkers.

You are on a slippery slope. I was the same, started with 4 hens, sold some extra eggs, suddenly everyone wanted eggs, so I got more hens and they went broody and who can resist a broody? I sure as heck can't. So one day DH asked exactly how many chickens I had. I had 107
hide.gif
That is chicken math.

Oh, before you ask. I restarted with one hen in May this year, got given 2 more and a rooster. The hens went broody
smile.png
I'm up to 15 chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom