1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Karelp38, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Karelp38

Karelp38 Out Of The Brooder

Hi

One of my hens are sick.

Her tail is pulled to one side. One eye is sometimes closed (no excretion in the eye)
    Her head also goes to one side, then she pulls it back. Like an involuntary movement of the head?

I've had her in isolation for about a week now and gave her some charcoal flush, but since I'm not sure about the dosage, I don't think I gave enough.

Any ideas as to what it can be?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your chicken probably has wry tail which is genetic. The wry neck she is exibiting may be from a vitamin deficiency, a head injury, or a disease such as Mareks disease. I would start her on vitamins, especially B vitamins, E, and a small amount of selenium. She should be isolated for peace and quiet because if she gets upset symptoms may get worse. Here is a good link to click on for info: http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2.

A picture might help us confirm the diagnosis.

4. Karelp38

Thanks for the replies.

The video shows her head going to one side all the time. Maybe you will be able to notice something else?

[​IMG]

I've taken a pic of the hen from the top. You can see her tail is pulled to one side.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad quality. My wife took the camera on holiday.

Hope someone can help. She represents 10% of my flock, so it will be a tragedy to loose her.

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I hope you are just dealing with a vitamin deficiency, but I would suspect Mareks disease. I would still try the vitamins for a period of time (a few weeks.)

6. Karelp38

Thanks for the reply.

At the moment I'm not giving them any vitamins, as I'm struggling to source it. I am in contact with someone from a big pharmaceutical company and I'll get the right stuff as soon as we've decided what I need.

Cheers

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you have any Super All B vitamins, you can dissolve a tablet and put it in the water. You can't give too much of that. Later When you get some vitamin E and selenium as they recommend in the link, you can add those. PolyVisol baby vitamins can also be used until you get poultry vitamins, or the single vitamins to use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by