New to chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Julsnpat, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Julsnpat

Julsnpat New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    central Florida
    I started raising chickens about 4 weeks ago I have Four they told me they were Ameruacanas maybe they spelled it differntly. I purchased them from a local tractor/ farm store. I have already fallen in love with them! Have the coupe ready when they are.... They seemed a little rambuctious the last couple of days so I tried to introduce a baby carrot and spinach they were affraid of it all! very funny! Gave them some alpha hay and they seem to like that. Do you think they are to young for raw veggies?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't give anything other than starter/grower until at least they are out free ranging, which here could be anywhere from 4-10 weeks. Many people start treats earlier,
    If you feed things like carrots, broccoli or other things they can't bite and tear easily, it's important to chop them up into bite size pieces - which for a 4 week chick is quite small. They don't have hands or teeth so they will ignore a carrot or broccoli stalk.
    If you give anything other than grower feed they also need grit sized for their age. Up to about 4 weeks, #1 grit. Up to 7 weeks, #2 grit and #3 for over7 weeks.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  3. Julsnpat

Julsnpat New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    central Florida
    Thank you I will have to do more research on grit not quit sure what i'm doing yet!

4. Julsnpat

Julsnpat New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    central Florida
    [​IMG]
    This is Benedict sure hope she is a girl! My BYC laws do not allow me to have roosters how soon can you tell shes about 5 weeks old

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It depends on the breed. If yours are all the same breed it is easier to tell at a younger age. The roos will have pointier feathers on the hackles wings and tail. They should also develop longer and thicker legs and eventually larger combs and wattles.

Not all feed stores sell all sizes of grit. It's best to wait to add treats till about 8 weeks or more and buy adult grit.
    If they are outside on pasture and there are sufficient pebbles and stones, they'll pick up their own grit.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  6. Julsnpat

Julsnpat New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    central Florida
    Thanks I removed the treats imediatly except the alpha hay they already got to that you think they will be ok? I will stick to the starter food for now and wait until they go outside.

7. Pekin bantams

Pekin bantams Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    that chick is gorgeous!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by