New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lilfiish, Oct 23, 2013.

1. lilfiish

lilfiish New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    My partner and I decided to keep chickens this year. We have 3 16 week old Warrens that free range during the day and sleep in a coop at night. We've had them a couple of days and we're already in love with them!
    They seem a little hesitant. We are trying not to upset them or get to close and frighten them but they seem to stick together in one corner of the garden and not move much. Is this normal?

Great forum- we've learned lots already!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] they need time to adjust to you. In the time before you took them, they probably didn't receive much interaction with humans. So they are fearful - you can ease into their good graces by offering them some treats. For instance pick a time you will be able to visit them daily. Pick a treat, dinner scraps, black oil sun flower seeds, meal worms - whatever, and dispense them . Maybe you could announce your visit with "Mama's here," or "Hey Chickies," anything but use the same words each time. This way they will come to realize you will behave in a certain manner that was pleasurable to them.

Once they get brave enough to come closer for treats, you could start sitting on the ground and dispensing some. Sooner or later a chicken will get brave enough to climb in your lap, or snatch treats from your hand or bucket. Don't deliberately reach for them yet but, maybe accidentally your hand might come in contact with them. After one is bold the others will become more brazen. It just takes patience - chickens love humans bearing treats. Just don't overdo it or they will turn up their beaks up at the nutritional feed they should be eating.[​IMG]

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined!

4. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Welcome to BYC from West TN!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Drumstick Diva gave you very good advice. Best of luck with them.

6. lilfiish

lilfiish New Egg

Oct 23, 2013
    Thanks all, that sounds like great advice. We've just given them some meal worms for breakfast and had a little chat. They don't seem overjoyed at the great British weather this morning. (But then, who is?!)

7. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve.:frow

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! drumstick diva gave you great advice!

10. jmandawn

jmandawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Palmer, Alaska
    First - Welcome to the flock! Second - Give them time to adjust and you will get out of them what you put into them. Third - You should get LOTS of eggs from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by