New to Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Doc Cluck, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Doc Cluck

Doc Cluck New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    I am so excited! For 3-5 years my husband and I have contemplated chickens. For my 17th wedding anniversary this October he built me a chicken coop. I was thrilled when it was finished and then started looking for young chickens or hens (too close to neighbors for a rooster). As I am sure you are aware and much to my disappointment, this is not a good time of the year to find much available and being picky, I really wanted a Buff Orpington. However, I received a call after an inquiry with the local chicken authority saying he had not only found a buff orpington hen but she also had 8 chicks that were just two days old! We brought her and the biddies home on Sunday. I cannot tell you how much time I have already spent sitting on a stool in my coop talking to a chicken. Unfortunately I have to work so I only see her in the afternoons. She and the babies aren't even up when I leave for work. It was depressing to find out that I actually don't "get up with the chickens." I actually get up before the darn chickens!! We call her Mama. My three children think this is all great and of course love the little chicks. I never thought I would be in love with a chicken but she is one of the most beautiful birds I have ever seen. The pic on my avatar is not her but the closest I could find until I can get a decent one taken in the next few days. We have enjoyed using BYC for pre-chicken, pre-coop research so I decided to join. Oh, there is only one catch. There were several roosters in the yard where she lived so the chicks are of undetermined paternal heritage. It will be interesting to see how they turn out. I am just hoping they are not all roosters.

2. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy!
    Steve. :frow

3. Doc Cluck

Doc Cluck New Egg

Oct 29, 2013
    Thanks! I see you have Buffs....and a lot more! Do you have a farm? I am in a neighborhood.

4. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I can spend hours looking at mine also, the beauty of the feathers is remarkable. Enjoy your anniversary present and welcome to BYC

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Glad to have you aboard. [​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

7. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

What a lovely gift! I think buff orpingtons look beautiful. It sure will be interesting to see how your chicks turn out.
    And I have to add, you must get up early!!

Good luck and enjoy the site. :D

8. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

On less than an acre, but have 14 runs and coops to keep breeds separated, we let a different group out each day to free range and dustbath, they all seem to like the dirt under one coop.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]one hen with baby chicks = instant flock , congratulations

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! What a wonderful way to start your chicken journey!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by