New to chickens!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by katieJo, Feb 11, 2014.

1. katieJo

katieJo New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    Mesa AZ
    Hi everyone! My family and I will be getting some chicks soon!! I am so excited! I have been on this site for days and days! I never thought I would be so excited to get chickens! I have fallen in love with them. (And I don't even have one yet) I am in the Arizona heat and not sure if the deep litter method will work out here. Also to use DE with the pine shavings or not to. Looking forward to this new journey! Thanks:D

2. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

4. Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

You know what works out west here? (I am next door in New Mexico) Sand! You can dig it out of the arroyo's for free. Look at it first to make sure you are in a sand vein before digging it up. (wet it down and if it doesn't clump, you have sand) I do this here. Not only will it be free, LOL, but sand is the best flooring for runs, coop, and I even use it in nest boxes! It stays dry, there is NO poop smells, keep the flies away, it is soft on the birds foot pads, and is very easy to clean. It also has natural gritty stones for the gizzards. Here is a thread on sand that you might want to read thru. I worship sand. Sand, sand and more sand!!!....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

Good luck in all your poultry adventures and enjoy BYC!

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. katieJo

katieJo New Egg

Feb 11, 2014
    Mesa AZ
    Thanks everyone!!! My husband and I just saw sand as littler and we think that we shall go with it. I was at the zoo today and in their Turkey and Roster coop they had sand. Now just what kind of sand. There are so many different reviews on different kinds of sand. I guess I still have a lot more homework to do!

[​IMG]

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by