New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by beachmaster, Feb 26, 2014.

1. beachmaster

beachmaster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2014
    Kentucky
    Hi, my name is Jacob and I am from southern Kentucky.
    I recently got out of the military, and married my lovely wife Moriah. I have alot of hobbies, but lately, the one that has taken alot of my time and thought has been what is called prepping. To me it is just ensuring that when I have a family, I can take up my responsibility as a man.
    Anyways, I typically get into things, do a lot of research, jump in with both feet, then join a forum, and realise I could have done things alot differently. That being said, I am going to try to do things a little differently this time. I want to make if not the best, at least a good decision from the get go.
    I dont believe I will have land, and therefor more than a chicken at my mother in laws house (to live with all her chickens) for at least a year. I have minimal experience with raising chickens. Taking care of hers for a week was almost the extent of my experience.
    My plan is to some day be able to keep a large flock of chickens, and to own enough good land to feed and care for them minimally, although I will be around them quite often. But I want hearty birds that I know if Times get tough, can live most of the year on foraging and basic table scraps etc.
    My plan was to build a very large coop, and to order about 25 day old chicks. Hopefully 20 female and 5 male. Later I might have another coop for leghorns. Idk yet
    Tough meat wont be an issue, or hopefully grow time, as i hope to be able to plan accordingly, and sell or eat excess. But eating a 18 month plus rooster I hope wont be an issue using a cast iron Dutch oven and some old world cooking techniques, if that is needed.
    Any advice is welcomed, and I might buy one chicken to take care of at my mother in laws house. She needs a rooster that can take care of her hens without abusing them too bad. And i want a chicken. LOL.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

You might want to do some reading in our learning center here on BYC for some tips and hints on raising your new flock, and many other aspects of keeping poultry...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck in all your poultry adventures and enjoy BYC!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  4. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    :welcome

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] and thank you for your time in service.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Jacob, welcome to BYC, and thanks for your service!

8. beachmaster

beachmaster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2014
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the link! Its already killed hours of my life! Lol

It also makes me hope there will be an expert nearby to help me with some things, like learning to butcher etc. Luckily I live in ky so my chances of that are pretty good :)

9. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

so, SO GLAD YOU JOINED ALL OF US ON byc!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by