new to chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lko67, Mar 8, 2014.

1. lko67

lko67 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    cental pa
    Chicks on order for middle of May got 6 barred rocks 6 black Aust. 6 buff orps and 1buff orp
    Rooster going to build a coop 8 ft. Wide 22 ft. Long divided into 3 sections to hopefully breed and raise my own peeps run is going to be 20 by22 also divided into sections any suggestions and info would be greatly appreciated my first question is where the run is planned is my ash pile from my coal stove probably a truck load at least can I just spread them around or should I remove them

2. Jeanna Marie

Jeanna Marie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Brooksville, Alabama
    Sounds like you have a good plan. I'm not sure about the ash. My chicks love to get into my wood ash. Seems good for dust bathing but it makes a huge mess. Especially when it rains. Like black sludge!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Coal ash I would remove.
    Kudos on your planning plenty of space for your chooks!

4. lko67

lko67 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    cental pa
    Could I leave the ash in a pile and let them dig around in it or are they bad for them

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Coal ash is pretty toxic stuff from what I've read....wood ash is OK tho.

advanced search>titles only>coal ash

I googled it too, didn't read anything good about it...but you'll have to decide for yourself.

6. lko67

lko67 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    cental pa
    Thanks for the replay I will remove them and get building as soon as weather breaks ugh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by