New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by allison lilly, Jan 26, 2015.

1. allison lilly

allison lilly New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    We want to start raising chickens so I have a lot of questions. First let me tell you a little about us. We live in southern WV so because the weather during summer and winter is so unpredictable I know I want a very hardy bird. With that being said when is the best time to purchase chickens and how hold should they be? Knowing when will help us plan for the coop. Next is a rooster necessary for the hens? From what I've read here so far I know not to expect instant results due to their stress level during moving and such. I would like any feed back anyone had to offer. Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  2. tj74roberts

tj74roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Ceres, Caifornia
    Welcome, all the way from California. Congrats on catching the chicken bug. Are you wanting to start with day old chicks or started pullets?[​IMG]

3. allison lilly

allison lilly New Egg

Jan 26, 2015
    I think a started pullet would be best! See we are trying to become more self sustainable. I've started doing most of my own baking and eggs are a big part of that so they would be for our own regular consumption but also for my baking needs. We have a small garden every year but we will be expanding that this year.

4. tj74roberts

tj74roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    Ceres, Caifornia
    You just want to make sure that your ready when the good weather comes. Any idea on what breed(s) you are looking for?

5. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC!
    So glad you joined! Check out the learning center for great information [​IMG] or ask questions and will try to answer them!!
    Good luck with your new flock!!
    [​IMG]

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You do not need a rooster in order for hens to lay eggs. Roosters are only required for egg fertilization. The best breeds for you, since you are in need of hardy ones, include buff orpingtons, black australorps, wyandotte, barred rocks, sussex and sex links. All of these breeds are generally friendly, great layers, good foragers and very cold hardy.

Do you want friendly birds? If so you should buy them as chicks. Started birds aka pullets and cockerels are usually skittish and hard to tame whereas chicks are very easy.

Also, if you are wanting eggs in the same year you buy your baby chicks, then you need to get them in spring or even late winter. This is because pullets take about 4-7 months to start laying and need warmth and light in order to do so. So let's say you buy your chicks in March; they will probably start laying in August or September. That all depends on breed too.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If you have any other questions, just ask! We're all here to help in any way we can.[​IMG]

8. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock. A rooster is not necessary unless you want fertile eggs. Otherwise a hen will continue to lay without one. Generally the hens are less stressed with NO rooster around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by