New to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 2chickygals, Feb 16, 2015.

1. 2chickygals

2chickygals New Egg

Feb 16, 2015
    My 6 year old daughter and I have decided to add some chickens to our little country family of 2 dogs and 2 cats. I have ordered the chicks and getting ready to start on the brooder and coop. Any advice or ideas from seasoned chicken owners would be appreciated!

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Welcome to BYC. Search the threads on here. Most beginner questions have been addressed but if you don't see an answer, feel free to ask the question. There is a wealth of knowledge here and most are very friendly and willing to help. Have fun!

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Merry Christmas! Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your impending chicks :celebrate
    I love raising chicks its a a very rewarding experience as you nurture them and watch them grow. Here is the coop section with some excellent ideas for brooders and coops https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chicks. Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help you along the way and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Definitely check out our Learning Center. It can keep you from making a lot of beginners' mistakes. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My 7 year old granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chicks have you ordered?

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us. Arrival of baby chicks is so exciting and fun.

Do check out the learning center, especially on raising baby chicks and have all your equipment in place before they arrive. Decide on what starter feed you want to use and have it on hand as well. Upon arrival, they need to drink before they eat. Read about pasty butt, it is more common than I had expected. Check out the coop forums and get your plans ready. Try to start building once the chicks are in the brooder, it usually takes longer to get the coop ready than most of us expect.

Good luck, free free to ask questions, we're here to help.

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 on all sunflour has said....especially on the urgency of getting going on the build. Those chicks will be ready to move out faster than you might expect - and the build always seems to find a way to surprise you with something that will come up and take longer than planned (not to mention the distraction factor of those adorable chicks in the brooder that keep calling your name and begging for you to sit and stare at them for hours, lol)

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by