New to Chickens!

Miss Lissa

Hatching
Feb 26, 2015
Hi, I just joined you guys today. We are brand new with chickens as of yesterday. Been wanting to get them and have been researching for some time now and finally decided to do it. We picked up 6 chicks yesterday (supposed to be female so we'll see). 2 I believe to be Barred Plymouh Rocks, 2 are Rhode Island Reds, and 2 I have absolutely no clue what they are (got them at Tractor Supply in the Pullets bin). My husband and I have 2 boys (currently 3 and about to be 6), 4 dogs, a cat, and 3 horses on a small farm in Georgia. Oh, and now 6 chickens :)

I'd love any ideas on what the breed of the attached chicks are and I'll welcome any starter advice I can get!

Oh, and the lighter yellow one seems to have some feather issues on her belly. Not many feathers left and a little irritated. Don't want to just rush her back to the store or anything because she seems otherwise just fine and she's super sweet. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

Aww....how adorable!! They appear to be at the age they are molting out of their baby fuzz and into adult feathers. So it is possible the one with the feather loss on the belly has just lost enough of them there than her skin is exposed and when she rests on her legs and feet it rubs on the skin. Adult hens that pluck their breast feathers while broody can get red irritated skin there as well. I wouldn't be too concerned. But keep an eye on her for the next week or so.

Enjoy these cutie pies and if you have any questions, please let us know! Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

Your chicks are very cute! Good luck with them.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 on what TwoCrows said about the chick with the missing feathers, if you are worried about it, you could also post a picture of its belly.

Back
Top Bottom